Monday, May 30, 2005

So it wasn't that bad

After it's all been said and done, having to go to work today really wasn't that bad. I had a highly productive day. In between bursts of productivity I was also free to surf the web to my heart's desire because for most of the day there wasn't anyone else around to say that I couldn't.

I ended the day by stopping off to see my real parents. I guess I should explain the real parents thing. I like to think that I have two sets of parents.

Having been raised by two people who were rather dysfunctional most of my childhood, I did what any intelligent child would do -- I found a new set of parents. They're the people I call my "real parents" because I often escaped to their house for glimpses of what storybook families do. Fortunately these folks like to consider me to be their daughter. When I was growing up, I could always count on "mom" for a home-cooked meal complete with some scrumptious dessert she had whipped up. (My mother stopped cooking, except for special occasions, as soon as she divorced my father.) "Dad" was the one who taught me how to drive. When I was home from college that summer and had pissed off my mom, they were the ones who let me stay with them.

Now that I have finished that explanation, let me get back to the story. I still like to stop off to see the folks because sometimes I don't feel like cooking dinner. I also needed to go over some paperwork for mom. When I arrived, dad insisted that I have a glass of wine. There was none open so I got to pick whatever I wanted. (Although I do love Chuck, I have to admit there is something appealing about being able to drink something that's at least ten times the price of Chuck.) I was halfway through a glass of Merlot when it dawned on me that peanuts and Sweet-Tarts cannot really be considered a meal. I think they must have realized my lack of food. I don't know how. I tried my best not to slur my words. That meant that I, of course, had to stay for dinner. And what goes better with steak than another glass of Merlot? Besides the wine, the other great part of my visit was a belated housewarming gift. Mom said that she had thought about buying something but then decided that I would appreciate cash much more. Have I mentioned how much I love these people?

The really good thing about work is that my boss told me today that I can come in an hour late. Oh, and because I have to work really late tomorrow, she said that I can take a two hour lunch. Life is starting to look very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment