Sunday, October 23, 2005

The bag

Is is synchronicity or what? It all started on Tuesday night while I was at my mom's house.

When I got there, Gilmore Girls was just starting up. On this past week's episode Rory received a Birkin from her boyfriend. My mom turned to me and asked, "What's a Birkin?" My first thought was under what rock has she been living. Then I remembered that my mother has not been one to keep up with what's hot and what's not. (Don't tell her this though. She likes to think that she knows all about such things.) I explained, "It's a very expensive, highly desireable Hermes bag." I received a puzzled look and decided to give up there. If I told her that Carolina Herrera is one of my favorite designers, I'd probably get the same look.

Then I was doing my usual blog reading today. (I know. I know. I need to do laundry. I need to start packing up stuff in my bedroom if I really plan to paint it. There are a lot of things that I should have been doing.) I saw that Gloria managed to slip in a reference to the much beloved bag in the comments to her latest post.

Finally, I just started reading Everyone Worth Knowing. There is a section discussing -- yes, you guessed it -- the Birkin. The poor main character is apparently much like my mother.

I am beginning to wonder if I am ever going to escape the bag. Or perhaps this is a sign that I am about to receive one soon? (You don't have to laugh so loud.)

No comments:

Post a Comment