Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Police have invaded my life

Funny how it takes someone else's post to remind you of a topic upon which you had planned to write. Happened to me Monday night.

I have always loved this song. Thankfully now there is a video. I really love the crazy chola hair in the second segment -- the one after the fashion show.



I like to think that this song is for me and all the other single women out there.
"A girl like me don't stay single for long
Cuz everytime a boyfriend and I break up
My world is crushed and I'm all alone
The love bug crawls right back up and bites me and I'm back."

Yep, we just keep coming back.

Oh, and speaking of things coming back, Retail Boy sent me a text message last week.
"U Still annoyed with me? wanna get 2-gthr soon. dinner n drinks on me. :)"

I kid you not. This was written by a 36-year-old. And no, I did not answer. There were way too many places to begin. But I won't even get into the fact that he writes a text message like he's a teenager.

No, I'm not still annoyed. I've just moved on. And my current life does not include his whiny-ass bitch self. In past days, I would have said OK and then have milked him for the free meal. The current me thinks differently. There is no meal worth more than the time I would lose putting up with his whining at this point. (See? I have grown.) In fact the thought of sharing a meal with Retail Boy almost makes me vomit in my mouth. He is not the "love bug" for which I am waiting. But I'm patient. The right one will come around eventually.

I had forgotten about the message until Friday night. Because during my lovely scenic drive, I passed his place of employment. Such a shame that I also noticed a fascinating looking restaurant located next door. So now I'm trying to figure out how to check out the restaurant yet still avoid him. *sigh* Of course, if Cookiecrumb really needed stuff from that store at discount, I'd be willing to bite the bullet. But only then.

And finally, something made me check out the band line-up at my former fave bar here. It seems that one of my all-time fave bands played last weekend. I am bummed that I missed the show. But upcoming shows? Seems that Drummer Boy's band will be showing up later this month. Part of me wants to show just so that I can sever all ties completely. But then there's the part of me that's afraid of what I will say/do after a few cocktails. Even with this fear, I'm still leaning toward showing up. At least so I can tell him off -- while giving props to the rest of the band. Because I still love their music.

And for those of you who might care -- a cat update. The cute little fur mice? Tailless. Actually, the black one is not only tailless but also gutted. There's this piece of fur on my carpet that used to be a toy mouse. The white one is also tailless and looks like it suffers from mange. That's because there are patches of fur all across the carpet that I haven't vacuumed up yet. And before you yell at me, I only have enough energy to eat, watch TV, and read blogs besides working these days. Cleaning has once more been relegated to weekends. Unless I do it before eating. But last night I was beyond starving when I got home. That's the only way that I can explain taking a wrong turn after leaving Bed Bath & Beyond. I was just following my original path even though my path should have changed after my shopping trip. Yep. Brain death due to low sugar levels.

And if I have snacks handy, I go for protein-rich snacks like nuts instead of carbs. Carbs are temporary energy. And evil to folks who have a family history of diabetes. Even though my last blood test said that I was well on my way to hypoglycemia instead of diabetes. But carbs are the enemy for folks who are hypoglycemic as well. (Now that I think about it, my mother has often suggested that I am bipolar because of sudden mood swings. Perhaps instead is is due to sudden changes in my blood sugar levels. Because when my blood sugar is low, I am one cranky ass bitch.) Then again, a friend told me that most adult-onset diabetics are usually borderline hypoglycemic before they become diabetic. So I try to keep an eye out on things. Just like the glaucoma.

I hope to find balance once more. That point at which I can work and be productive when I get home. Hopefully without the insomnia. Because in the past that's where I've usually found my energy. Nope. In bed by midnight. After that, there's no telling what could happen.

And if I'm up too long, I use music to re-ground myself. Here's the lyrics to one of my favorite songs in the wee hours of the night...
"See I picks my friends like I pick my fruit
& Ganny told me that when I was only a youth
I don't go 'round trying to be what I'm not
I don't waste my time trying ta get what you got
I work at pleasin' me cause I can't please you
and that's why I do what I do
My soul flies free like a willow tree
doo wee doo wee do wee

And if you don't want to be down with me
You don't want to pick from my appletree
And if you don't want to be down with me
Then you don't want to pick from my appletree
And if you don't want to be down with me
Then you don't want to pick from my appletree
And if you don't want to be down with me
You just don't want to be down."

Because Erykah Badu can almost always get you in the right frame of mind. Just like Jill Scott can.

No comments:

Post a Comment