Monday, October 2, 2006

Grown-up again

This past Friday was a landmark day -- payday! It is the first "real" paycheck I have received in over a year. I was able to pay the bills, to go grocery shopping for whatever I wanted, and to still have plenty of money left. I am trying to contain myself. I would like to take a trip in February after all.

So the kids can be trying at times -- especially if you are feeling extremely hormonal. The other teachers may have kids who are better behaved but they don't get gifts like this.


Yes, it's a bracelet made of pipe cleaners and beads.

I immediately slipped this lovely creation onto my arm upon receiving it first thing Friday morning. I even wore it when I went out on Friday and Saturday. Actually I receive some sort of gift weekly. Perhaps I'll remember to take a photo of the lovely watercolor I received the first week of school.

The highlight of my weekend was the Free the Need event on Saturday. Held at the wonderful Speakeasy brewery. $25 and it was all-you-can-eat and drink. Wonderful sausages, potatoes, cheeses, salami, proscuitto... Oh, and the beers. I will have to visit those folks more often. They have an open house every Friday evening. And then there was the fun of the band.







Because it was all for a good cause, I also decided to drop some dollars at the silent auction.


I went home with this lovely collection.


I also thought of taking home a case of beer but then settled on this lovely hoodie instead. As you see, Boris is quite fascinated by it.

The event ended at 7 p.m. but I didn't have to leave -- because I was with the band. I've had that happen before but this time I didn't have to help them breakdown equipment. (You should see me wrap cables.) So the Drummer Boy is supposed to call me sometime during the week. Or maybe I'll call him. I forgot to pick up a CD on Saturday. Then again he did tell me the previous weekend that he would give me a copy.


Once they kicked everyone out, the folks cleaned up and the band played one more set.

Sunday marked grocery shopping day. If you only get paid once a month, this becomes a pretty standard pattern. Pay bills. Buy food. Then the remaining money is up for grabs. I knew that I would not have the energy to actually cook once I reached home so I made one other stop -- Cazuela's Grill. It is located in the ever-so-lovely Hilltop Mall. Yes, the ghetto fab mall. Cazuela's is the only reason I go there these days.


I always go for the corn tortillas because they make them once you have placed the order.


I have been jones-ing for some carnitas for weeks now. And no, I did not eat all of that in one sitting.

Now to decide if I spend anymore money. I think I'll try to contain myself though -- until Thursday when I am heading to Banana Republic. Because I still haven't spent that giftcard that Jade gave me for my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment