Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Southern comfort

After my rant earlier this week, I seriously debated about whether I would actually post this. Because this is one of those recipes for when you're trying to feed a lot of folks on little money.

Last month I spent a lot of time going over the past in my mind, especially memories of my dad's parents. (I only have one living grandparent, my mom's mother.) And a lot of memories about them centers around food. Because when I spent time with them it was on my grandfather's farm.

So when the weather started turning cold, I started thinking of soups and stews. And then I remembered this one that my grandmother used to make. I like to think of it as winter food but she always made it in the summer. I now realize that she did so because she was using fresh vegetables. Either way hope you enjoy. Oh, and feel free to substitute other meats. Supposedly in the days of the colonies this dish was made with rabbit meat.


Brunswick Stew

1 small chicken
salt
pepper
3 14-1/2 oz cans of chopped tomatoes
Small can of tomato paste
Bag of frozen corn kernals
Bag of frozen lima beans
Crushed red pepper flakes

Cut up the chicken and place it in a dutch oven. Add enough water to cover. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 2 hours.

Remove chicken from water. Remove skin and bones. Return meat to pot.

Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, and lima beans. Season with red pepper flakes. (I like it spicy so I go for about a teaspoon or so.) Let simmer for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment