Friday, February 15, 2008

How I roll

Yesterday at work was uneventful. Well, it was if almost slipping into a coma from boredom can be considered uneventful. It was a slow day and the guys were out most of the day. I played a lot of Taipei. After I got home, I remembered what made it different. For the last five years, I have worked in education. And kids love VD. VD would roll around and I would get a bunch of candy and cards. It didn't matter if I didn't have a boy at the time because there would always be a couple of kids around to tell me how great they thought I was. I guess that's why I decided to do the whole dinner for self thing this year. Not that I didn't get any holiday wishes and what not. The women in my family have always made it a point of acknowledging the day with each other -- phone calls, cards, something to let you know that someone else is thinking about you.

Oh, and before I continue, let me share this tidbit. When I spoke to my mother yesterday (Now it's phone calls but when she still lived in the states she'd always send me a card. And perhaps a gift), my mother talked about VD in Mexico. In Mexico, February 14th is Dia de la Amistad. That's Friendship Day for those of you who couldn't do the translation. Wouldn't it be great if we could do that here in the United States? Instead of celebrating romance, use the day to celebrate other forms of love? And then I thought that perhaps Hilly would fit right in if she were to go to Mexico.

And now what you really wanted to see -- last night's dinner.




I took more photos of the oysters in case y'all had forgotten what they looked like.



This was followed by Steamed Mussels with Lemon-Saffron Sauce.



The main event -- Salmon in Mussel Saffron Sauce with couscous and a simple salad.



And for Nat, the carrot cupcake.


The best part? Leftovers tonight!

I was going to give this post another title but then I saw that I had used it already. When I did the search, I came across this jewel from exactly one year ago. And here I was thinking that getting outraged around here was a new thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment