Thursday, December 29, 2005

Bah friggin humbug

Usually this time of year you would find me skipping around singing some tune that nobody else knows. (Yes, I like to hum nonsense.) Not this year though. Some of this can be directly traced back to my lack of a trust fund.

I was happy to realize that I was going to be off work for four consecutive days. Then I looked at my bank balance. I had to call my stylist to cancel my appointment because I just didn't have the funds to go. My hair is tolerable currently but is not cute. Nothing puts me in a foul mood like having uncute hair. Uncute hair means that I cannot go out and flirt like I really should. Fortunately there are berets that are almost as cute as having cute hair. Although with the boots, jeans, and leather jacket, I start to think that I am some stylish 60s radical. Power to the people and all that.

The beret worked for me on Monday. Monday I decided to show up at this get together that people from my high school were having. I don't know why I went. Morbid curiousity? Most of these people were not my friends back then. In fact, I think that most thought that they were too cool for me. Little did they know. The surprising thing is that most of the women did not seem to remember by name but the guys did. Maybe that isn't that surprising actually. Back then I had more male friends than female ones. No, these were not boyfriends. I had three, count them three, dates in high school. Boys did not appreciate me until I turned 18 when I promptly began dating guys five to ten years older than myself.

Back to Monday. What make me think it was ok to have four large glasses of Bombay Sapphire and tonic? On an empty stomach, no less. The high school folks, being the old farts that they are, left as I was starting on my fourth. That gave me time to meet the other boys in the bar. I guess the guy was cute because I gave him my phone number. I know I gave him my phone number because he called three times after I left the bar to make sure I got home ok. I did -- eventually. On my way home I was inspired to stop at my fave bar. Ummm, didn't I realize that I had already had enough to drink? Apparently not. The bartender that night is the guy who I previously thought was an ass. Perhaps I was wrong. He came and sat next to me at the bar to chat. He didn't seem that bad after all. But I was drunk. What do I know?

I was supposed to head out on Tuesday with my old buddies, Jade and Emerald. (I didn't pick the names. They did long ago. Like guys were going to believe those were really their names. No one ever doubted my choice of Alex.) I had spent most of the morning dreaming of duck tacos. Then I called Jade at lunch to verify the time we were meeting.

"Oh yeah. I spoke with Emerald last week. I guess we forgot to call you. We're not going."

What??? Thanks for the phone call, ladies. I had already had a minor meltdown at work that morning and was looking forward to going out. It's just as well. I was too tired and hungover by the end of the day to go anywhere.

Yesterday was spent arguing with the Benefits department at work. I received a letter on Tuesday saying that my health coverage was being cancelled effective Janaury 1. Huh? Obviously these people did not realize how crucial having health insurance is when one is trying to drink one's self into oblivion. I mean that is one of the reasons why I have a grown-up job. That and the joke of a paycheck I receive. (It used to be good but now the bonuses are totally sucking.) They said that during open enrollment I had waived medical coverage. No, I didn't. Then they tried to tell me that because open enrollment had ended, they might not be able to change this situation. Why was I suddenly having "Take this job and shove it" going through my head? This morning they admitted it was a computer error. Apparently I was not the only one to whom this had happened and the situation had been corrected. Damn skippy it's been corrected. Otherwise, I'd have to get on the next flight to Baltimore...

Today I am feeling a little better. My dad is hoping to receive a bonus check next week from the partnership business he is involved in. Basically they sell stuff to utility companies. I would tell you more but it would bore you to tears. I cannot wait until he receives this check because I know that I will be receiving a portion of it in turn. I have also decided to go to the movies tonight. I cannot believe that I have not been to a movie since seeing Elizabethtown. Damn job is interfering with my movie viewing. Then I will probably head over for a few drinks. Not too many though. I do have to be at work at 9 tomorrow. Nothing is worse than dealing with small children in the early morning hours (anything before 11 is early) when one is hungover.

No comments:

Post a Comment