Sunday, January 1, 2006

What you have been waiting for

I was going to put off doing this post a little longer because the weather here sucks and I needed to go out take photos. Then I read Jen's post and knew it was time to get off my lazy ass. (Oh, and Daniel, you are going to have to scoll again. Sorry.)

I know you have been eagerly perched on the edge of your seats awaiting the much-promised posts. The wait is over. Before I dive in, I'd just like to explain what inspired this series of posts.

First of all, I have been feeling rather nostalgic of late. I received that email from a co-worker. The next day while driving to work, the first song I heard on the radio was My Best Friend's Girl. I know that may be a bit early for some of you but it was a must-play at almost all the parties I went to in high school. Add all of this up with the fact that I have about six months to go to 40... You get the point.

Then there is the whole photo thing. I visit other blogs that always have fab photos. Some of these blogs even contain photos of my home area. I thought to myself that it's silly that I don't post photos of the places around here that I love so much. I also thought it was time for me to document all of this before I kill of the braincells in which these memories reside.

Being nostalgic and all I thought it would be best to start with bars and clubs. I was quite the partygirl after all.

The first club I ever went to was the Palladium. It's not around anymore. Instead we have this in its place. (I meant to take a photo but then I left my carefully prepared list at home. I was, therefore, stuck working from memory.)

The Palladium was great because it was 18 and up (Those 21 and over would receive a special hand stamp.) and it stayed open until 6 a.m. My friends and I would only go there on Thursday and Sunday nights though. The other nights were not our kind of scene. We didn't have fake i.d.'s so we would find a nearby alley and consume lots of vodka and o.j. before entering the club. Once inside it was key to have just the right look so that you could receive a club card. It was the mid-80s and anyone with any modicum of cool did not want to only be seen at a place that advertised on the radio.

Another fave from those days was a weekly thing called the Kno Club. It was held in this theater in Japantown. Now the place is a multiplex and home to the San Francisco International Film Festival.



The biggest thing on the club scene in the 80s was Das. Das is legendary in the San Francisco club scene. It is a word said with utter awe. The place is no longer called Das. In fact, it hasn't been Das since sometime around 1990. The building is still a club and goes by its address these days. Also now you enter on Folsom.



Back then you entered on the alley.



Das also had an 18 and up policy. Fortunately they let you check bags and there was an elementary school nearby.



I am sure I made quite a sight hopping the fence in a lycra mini. We found that once on the grounds, we could go the courtyard in the middle of the buildings and drink undisturbed. If we had anything left, we would just put it in my friend's tote bag that she checked in the club.


I also found it quite disturbing to see that the school is currently being demolished. Then again there is no need to worry about drinking in elsewhere as 1015 is now 21 and up.

Das has so many memories but my fave is probably meeting the Navy nurses. Jade's older sister was driving us to the club one night. She wanted the car to go see her boyfriend and lied to her mother saying that she was going to the club with us. There was heavy traffic on the bridge. (By the way, although I grew up in the East Bay, I have never considered myself to be "bridge and tunnel." I was always a San Franciscan in my mind. I absolutely hate suburbia.) My friend was upset because she was going to be late getting to her boyfriend's. We had been laughing at these guys in the next lane who had been dancing in their cars to whatever was on the radio.

My friend said, "I bet those guys are going to Das. It's a shame you can't get a ride with them."

Next thing I know, Jade, my best friend and sister of the driver, was telling her sister to pull up next to the guys. (Unfortunately Jade was riding shotgun.) Jade rolled down her window and asked, "Are you guys going to Das?"

When they said that they were, Jade then asked, "Can we get a ride?"

"Now?"

"Yes, now."

"OK."

Next thing I know, Jade is hopping out of the car and getting into the car with these random guys. (We were at the toll plaza at the time. Right before the last exit that Jade's sister was able to take to head back to Berkeley.) I couldn't let my friend go alone, so I went along with our other friend. We ended up becoming friends with these guys and hung out with them and their friends for the entire summer.

Enough about the 80s. There were a lot of other clubs. There was a lot of alcohol and drugs. (I didn't do drugs but most of my friends did.) I think we were all a little out of control back then.

On a side note -- On my way home, I suddenly realized that I had had way to much tea to drink. I was forced to stop at one of my favorite bars. I told myself that I was just going to have one drink and to use the facilities. Then of course I ran into a former bartender from the place who insisted on getting my drink for me. Well I had to stay around. I left after three drinks, only one of which I paid for. (The bartender who was working picked up my last drink.) Still glad to see I've got it. But more about this place in a future post.

Happy New Year's to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment