Sunday, January 22, 2006

We all have someone like this in our lives

Monday is my cousin's birthday. During the past week I received a phone call saying that we would all be going out to dinner on Saturday. Luckily I love dining out, especially if it is somewhere I have never been. My only reservation is that it was for my cousin.

I have never missed a birthday party, bridal shower, baby shower, or kid's birthday party. Heck. I even made the bridesmaids's dresses for her wedding. (Mine is still hanging in my closet. I doubt it will ever be worn again.) On the other hand, whenever it is an event for me, she suddenly has a migraine. An occasional migraine I can understand but everytime there is something for me? Just seems a little suspect is all I am saying.

So we went to Paradiso. Right after the entrees were served, I remembered how much y'all like food photos so I snapped a couple for your enjoyment.



I had the seared Ahi. Tasty.



My aunt, and at least one other person at the table, had the rack of lamb. I was a tad worried when they ordered it medium. Medium turned out to be more like medium rare -- much to my liking but to their chagrin. I just think you should warm it up and slap it on a plate.

The service could have been better but the food was definitely tasty. Then there was the whole check thing. Thankfully my cousin's dad was present. (He played pro football for seven years back in the day. If I remember correctly, he has three Super Bowl rings. I am too young to remember his career. I remember being flower girl at his wedding.) I had slapped out $60 for my share. He ended up giving me $20 back.

I had previously said that I was not going out this weekend. I have been suffering from an icky sinus infection. That before Paradiso and the two Sidecars I had there and the extra $20 I found in my pocket at the end of dinner. On the drive home I felt the blood rushing to my face and thought, "You know. Another drink wouldn't be that bad." What else was I going to do? Hang out with the cats? Yeah, right. Did that on Friday. (I know that there are people who are once more thinking, "Thank goodness she doesn't have children.) I mean I had on a cute outfit and OK hair. I know the rule is only go out with great hair but I was able to effectively turn the OK hair into pretty good hair. Then again it could have been the alcohol coursing through my veins. If it had been Jose, Jim, or Jack, I would know that the alcohol was definitely to blame. Those three guys have a way of possessing you. So after feeding the cats and brushing my teeth, I headed out.

The first guy I met was visiting. He's originally from Boston and went to UConn. He's training for the decathlon. Talk about hot and I am a sucker for that Boston accent.

The next guy was thoroughly entertaining. He is no longer having birthday parties. Instead he is going to throw a wake each year. His reasoning is that wakes are usually a lot more fun than birthday parties. He also figures that if some hot chick has secretly been in love with him, he would like to hear it before he dies. I insisted that I had to have his phone number because I have to go to the wake. It will be in April. Stay tuned for details.

The last guy was the little boy sporting the D&G sunglasses. Obviously I had had quite a few cocktails at that point because I usually run from guys who wear sunglasses at night. He was entertaining though. Oh, and I just got off the phone with Gertrude. She found it disturbing when I told her that today he had to go do laundry with his mom. Actually her exact words were, "How old is this guy anyway?" She then said that age didn't matter. The fact that he lives with his mom and goes every Sunday to do laundry with her is what is disturbing. Eh. He said he had issues. Guess I'll find out more about them when I go to his bar tonight. (Yes, he is a bartender.)

When I went to upload the food photos, I found that I had also taken these on my walk home last night.





And finally, the true sign that it was a rough night last night -- I am thinking that it may be time for hair of the dog. *sigh* Thank goodness all I have to do tomorrow is go to HR and then head to Sack of tomatoes to do some work for my dad. Hmmmm. I wonder how much wine he has stashed in the warehouse at his office...

No comments:

Post a Comment