Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Showdown at the O.K. Corral

... or why the boy is not allowed to read my blog.

Monday 9 p.m.

Boy called to say that he would had finished packing up stuff at rehearsal space and had decided to put it all in storage on Tuesday. There was lots of whining about how the other guys had not shown up to help him pack. He then said that his best friend, who is also in the band, would be celebrating his birthday on Tuesday and that the boy thought it would be cool if we all went out on Tuesday night. (He has been wanting me to meet this friend for weeks now.) As they would probably be finished before I got off work, we agreed that he would call me on Tuesday at 7 p.m. to let me know where to meet them.

Tuesday 10 a.m.

Boy called to say that he was waiting for the other guys to arrive so they could start moving the stuff. His best friend was en route.

Tuesday 12:30 p.m.

Best friend had arrived. Still no other guys. Best friend had to be up early on Wednesday to go to work so he would not be going out. Boy said they had decided to put the stuff in storage. With no truck, they would be using his car to haul everything across town to the storage place. He said that he would call me at 7 p.m. to let me know where to meet him.

Tuesday 7:00 p.m.

Received a call from the boy as I was parking my car in front of my building. He was still in San Francisco. They had put most of the stuff in storage but the facility closed before they were able to drop off the last load. Therefore, he was going to have to take it home. He would then get on BART to meet me at my place to go out. He estimated that this would all take about two hours. He asked what my dinner plans were. I had been planning to grab something to eat when we went out. I was starving and starting to get just a wee bit cranky. I told him I would grab a snack and that I would see him in two hours.

Tuesday 9:00 p.m.

Boy called from BART station in San Francisco saying that he would arrive in about 30 minutes. I was a wee bit pissed off at this point. Thankfully the snack I had prepared earlier was a bit more substantial than I thought it would be and I was no longer hungry. I went to the kitchen and fixed a Mexican coffee for myself.

Tuesday 9:05 p.m.

College roommate returned my call, just as I was starting to write this post. I told her everything that happened. We came to the agreement that the boy had just made the mistake of putting his trust in flaky people. The people I was really mad with were these flakes who, in my opinion, had sabotaged my evening.

Tuesday 10:00 p.m.

The boy arrived, literally two minutes after I had hung up the phone with my best friend. We headed out to the bar around the corner from me. Luckily for the boy, they were still serving food. I was not hungry. The waiter remembered us from Saturday night and promptly asked me, "Pinot Noir for you, right?" My thought was, "And keep it flowing."

After drinks arrived, I told boy that I knew that he had said he would not whine about the situation anymore when we arrived but there were a few things I wanted to get off my chest. I believe I actually said that I was kind of pissed off.

We discussed the whole band situation. The guy who was supposed to bring the truck apparently had been passed out at home with his phone turned off. I ascertained that this is one of the guys who is usually drinking heavily at rehearsals. I suggested that perhaps for some of these guys, the whole band thing was just an excuse to party. They were flakes. Therefore, he should not rely on them for anything important in the future. I asked what they were going to do about rehearsal this weekend. The boy has no clue as they no longer have a space. They have a gig two weeks from Saturday -- that of course I will be attending. The boy chuckled at the thought of how I will treat the flakes when I meet them at that time.

A couple of glasses of wine later I was feeling much happier. Ah. The wonders of wine.

So I titled this "The Showdown" because when I first started writing, that's what I thought would transpire. So now that I have rested, I am ready to head out again tonight with the boy. Oh. And he better not be late.

No comments:

Post a Comment