Sunday, May 29, 2005

Expanding horizons

I thought I'd jot down a few thoughts before heading off to work. Yes, you read it correctly. It's Sunday and I have to go to work. Did I mention that I have to go to work tomorrow too?

Just like Gloria, I have a list of things that I'd like things I'd like to do some day. Well, I haven't really put them in a list. I just let them float around in my head.

The item at the top of my list was to find an apartment that I like in Berkeley. Done that. Now it's time to try to take care of some of the other things. I've always been fascinated by language and have wanted to learn more.

I was checking on my mom's house when I came across the catalog for Adult Education. It dawned on me that I should check Berkeley Unified to see if they offered something similar. They do. I thought to myself, "Now I can sign up for a Portuguese class." Then they burst my bubble. Apparently they offered Portuguese in the Spring but will not be offering it in the Summer. I really do not feel like taking another class in Spanish or Italian; I could use the refresher though. I started looking through the list to see if there was something else. Unfortunately ballroom dance does not fit into my work schedule. Same goes for ice skating and the intermediate hand knitting classes. So what have I decided? I'm thinking Arabic. It fits into my schedule and when my relatives come to visit this summer, I'll actually have someone to practice with. (Don't ask. That's another story.)

I guess if I actually go through with it, then in the fall I'll have to start planning that trip to New Zealand -- something else I've wanted to do for years. If not, I guess I'll just make do with the books I purchased years ago when I briefly thought of trying to learn Russian. Hey! And I have someone with whom I could practice at work. So what if he has this creepy sex maniac air about him? Scratch that thought. Guess it's Arabic or wait until Fall when they hopefully offer Portuguese again.

No comments:

Post a Comment