Thursday, January 19, 2006

Everything is new

For the last year and a half I have been working at a tutoring center (K-12). Back in December the center director told me that she was looking for a new job. She was the fourth person in that position in my time at the center. I decided that I just did not have the mental strength to go through yet another transition. The teachers in the center for the most part do not deal well with change. One of my main functions has been assuring them that everything would be alright after each change. Let me tell you that the whole thing is draining. There's also the 10-12 hour days. Last year the first holiday that I did not work was the fourth of July. I also have had to work alternate weekends. To say that I am burned out would be an understatement.

I knew at in December that perhaps it was time for me to make a change. I wanted to return to the classroom and figured that I would stick it out until the next school year started. Then I looked around online out of curiousity and discovered that there were classroom positions open now. Last Monday I sent off a resume in response to one of these postings. Within three hours, I received a call from the principal. She had noticed that I had previously taught at the number one middle school in the district and had called the principal there. Fortunately that principal thinks that I am a wonderful person and teacher. I went in last Thursday for my interview. The interview consisted of one question -- "When can you start?"

Meanwhile, the higher-ups at my current job had gotten wind that I was thinking about leaving. Their response? "We should fire her." HR told her that this was not a possibility as I had never been reprimanded for anything. I figure she has now racked up quite a few bad karma points.

So today was my last day as a fulltime employee at the center. OK. Actually Saturday is my last day but I was supposed to be off this weekend anyway. I will be staying on at the center as a parttime employee.

The problem is that I still do not have my contract for the new job and they want me to start on Monday. That means I will be making a visit to HR tomorrow morning to light a fire under them. It's not like I should have to submit a lot of paperwork because I worked for this school district until a year and a half ago. The principal at the new school was going to get everything straightened out today at a meeting but the meeting was cancelled. Apparently a teacher at my previous school collapsed in class and died at the hospital today. I am still trying to process that. He had the classroom behind mine and was this really cool guy.

I talked to the teacher I am replacing tonight. She is feeling like she is in limbo as well because she cannot start her new job until they complete my paperwork. So tomorrow it's HR. Oh, and I guess I should cancel the interview for that other teaching job for which I applied. It also means that there probably will not be any partying this weekend. That's OK though. Gertrude will be celebrating her 40th birthday next weekend. I am sure it will be one hell of a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment