Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What happened to the rest?

Yes, on Sunday I only consumed half of the steak. What was on the plate, was half. The rest was promptly put into the fridge. So what happened to the rest of it? Well, another quarter of it ended up how a great deal of leftover meat here does -- in a salad.



Salad making has become almost ritualistic for me. First I must gather everything on the counter. Then there is the washing of the romaine heart (Yes, I use a whole one.) which is then shredded into the bowl. Next salad dressing is added to the bowl and the lettuce is tossed so that each bit is just lightly coated with dressing. (This generally takes two to three tablespoons of dressing.) Finally, I chop each of the other ingredients and layer them on top. As I eat, it all becomes tossed together. Because yes, that mixing bowl is my bowl when I dine alone.

Normally when I use steak in a salad, I use honey mustard dressing. But this time I wanted to try something different. What goes wonderfully with beef? Why horseradish, of course. So I made a wasabi dressing -- rice vinegar, oil, soy sauce, wasabi powder, lime juice, garlic powder, ground ginger. It wasn't bad but there was something a little off. About halfway through the salad, I realized that in the past I had used a little sugar. Completely forgot it this time. Next time I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment