Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Lawyers really irritate me

That's right. I said it. My first thought was to say that I hate lawyers but I think that saying that they irritate me is more on point.

What is about lawyers that they must act like condescending assholes to everyone else? (Now before I get a flood of comments, I don't mean all of them. It just seems to be a trait that shows up in lawyers more than other professions.) Basically this all stems from a meeting I had tonight with a parent.

He wanted to know about a possible refund. I explained our policy to him. He said that the former director had told him that she would uphold a refund policy other than our standard policy. When I began looking to see if she had made note of the conversation, he then proceeded to try to explain to me that an oral agreement is perfectly binding and that no writing is necessary. I told him that I was well aware of that and proceeded to pull out the copy of our written policies that he had signed. When I pointed out that everything that I had just said was in the document, he said he knew that. He said they had had the conversation as a result of the clause. My response? "Huh. It would seem like one of you would have made note of the change on this document."

When I called my mom, because it was 8:30 and I was still at work and needed company, she asked, "Did this man know that you once attended law school?" Of course he didn't. Why else would he try to explain basic contract law to me?

They just irritate me. That's all I'm going to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment