Monday, February 13, 2006

Pass a paper bag

I am trying hard not to hyperventilate these days. As I have said previously, I can be a bit of a commitmentphobe. So how best to freak me out? Start leaving stuff at my home. The sunglasses I can deal with; that was merely oversight. But the toothbrush? Paper bag -- quickly.

There is usually a pattern in relationships. Mine is that I meet some guy and suddenly he has virtually moved in. I am waiting for the clothes to start showing up.

On Friday night I finally went to see Good Night, and Good Luck with the boy. As we were walking from dinner to the theater, we passed a store window with a colorful display.

Him: "Why do they still have Christmas directions up?"

Me: "Um. Everything in the window is red and white. I think it's a Valentine's Day display."

Him: "Oh yeah. That's why I was asking you if you liked chocolate earlier."

(I am not a huge fan of chocolate by the way. I can only stand it in small amounts -- unless I am feeling particularly hormonal.)

Yesterday I did something with the boy that I don't think I have ever done with a boy -- cooked dinner. (Yes, this too has me hyperventilating.) It all started when we were sitting around watching TV and getting ready to walk to the library. (Yes, he likes to read as much as I do.) I was flipping through the latest issue of Bon Appetit. He liked the pictures. Next thing I know, he's saying, "You know what would be cool? We should pick a recipe for dinner and then make it." I asked what he had in mind -- lamb. Not much going in the latest issue so I hit the computer to look on Epicurious. We ended up making this. Well, mostly I made it but he did a fine job with the Swiss chard -- with a bit of supervision. I completed the meal with couscous with pinenuts and golden raisins and this lovely Pinot Noir we picked up on our shopping trip. (One of the reasons I love Andronico's so much is that they have a wine steward. How many grocery stores have a wine steward? I must go back and thank her for her recommendation.) The meal was lovely. Also just a bit too strange for me.

Thanks to Gloria, it now looks like I will be making madeleines. I agreed yesterday that it would be nice to do something for VD. I cannot believe I said that. I normally wear all black and boycott the day. OK. So maybe most days I'm wearing all black but it seems more of a statement on VD. I am sure he is going to get me something after the chocolate conversation. I just couldn't figure out what to get him that wouldn't seem like too much. So thank you Gloria for inspiring me.

Of course I will let you all know how it all goes. That is if I haven't passed out by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment