Thursday, June 12, 2008

Summer in the PRB continues

So y'all have to know that at times I get almost obsessed with OKCupid. Over the last month or so, I have learned about this really cool feature they have -- QuickMatch. You put in some minimal criteria -- gender, dating status, location -- and then they randomly show you photos and profiles of folks who meet your criteria. You have to rate them on looks and personality based solely on this information. Oh, and on a scale of 1 to 5. If you give someone a 4 or 5, then they are told that someone has given them high ratings.

This is how I found myself on OKCupid yesterday. I was told that someone had given me a high rating in QuickMatch. If you choose to respond, they show you a series of folks. The person who gave you high marks will be randomly mixed into the group.

And that's how I came upon the guy whose photo I sent to a few of you yesterday. Apparently he gave me high marks, as I did him. As a result, he ended up sending me an email yesterday.

When I got home from work, he was online on OKC. (For those of you not in the know, OKC has it's own chat interface.) So I got an IM from him. And we chatted. We were supposed to try to meet next weekend. But he let it slip that he was at a cafe in my neighborhood. In fact it was about two blocks away. So I was supposed to email him about meeting next weekend or perhaps later in the evening. But idiot me closed the chat window without writing down his email address. Well, there was only one thing to do. I hightailed it on over to the cafe. You should have seen the look on his face when I showed up at his table.

Shortly after that we left the cafe and ended up at my bar. I had already warned him that it was my bar. When he went to the bar to get a second round from my bartender, my bartender made a point of telling him how cool he thought I am. The guy asked me if he needed to take my bartender into the street. The more and more that I think about it, I think that my bartender probably came off as a mixture of protective brother and slightly jealous guy. Well, at least that's what I get from the new guy's telling of the conversation they had. Then again, there has apparently been some bad blood between the two in the past. Something about my bartender having 'tude. Well, hell. He has 'tude most Friday and Saturday nights. Because idiots like to show up on those nights.

Back to the guy. There's a possibility that I'll go out with guy again. I say possibility because of the email I received. Seems I'm kind of cursed. Guys are frequently saying things to me like, "You deserve someone better than me." For some reason I have a way of coming off as this fragile little pure as the driven snow type. Y'all can stop laughing now. I know it's funny but it's not that funny.

I also haven't given up on Random Boy. Oh, and the first OKC Boy called last night. He wants to go out to a party his company is having tonight. (This was after I told him that I was not driving over to see him last night. And yeah, this would be when he called right after I got home from being out with the other guy.) I'll see.

Yep. I love the warmer months of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment