Saturday, October 6, 2007

Special trip

Earlier this week, I made a special trip to Berkeley Bowl. The purpose?


Fava beans.


I had come across a recipe in one of my Mediterranean cookbooks that called for fava beans. Actually, as the book was published in the UK, the recipe called for broad beans. A quick internet search and I had the American name for the item.


Lamb casserole with fava beans.


The lamb was cooked for a couple of hours with onion, garlic, bay leaf, paprika, and brandy. The recipe called for sherry but as I didn't have that on hand, I substituted the brandy. Then the fava beans were added, and finally, the parsley.

I am sure that this is something that I will make again in the future. The lamb was absolutely tender. And it makes me think of cold winter days -- that time of year during which I am likely to make soups and stews. And if only I had remembered to take a photo of the cats while it was all cooking. They kept looking wistfully at the stove top. But I'm mean and didn't share with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment