Monday, May 22, 2006

A change of pace -- sort of

I had to work on Saturday morning so I stayed in on Friday night. Even more so, I got off work on Saturday and went grocery shopping and then I went home. OK. So maybe that doesn't sound that shocking but I stayed in on Saturday night as well. Well, maybe I had some help staying in on Saturday.

I exchanged text messages early on Saturday evening with the boy who will soon be history. When he got off work, he sent me a text saying that he was too tired for dealing with someone one on one so he would be heading to my fave bar for food and drinks. So he hangs out at the place as much as I do but I doubt they love him as much as they love me. Therefore, it is my bar. Lucky for him I didn't really want to go out anyway. I hate how sarcasm doesn't show up in text. Well, I am sure it does; it is something I simply must work on. My response to this news was, "Have fun." His? "Thanks sweetheart." He must go and I must promise myself that I will not physically hurt him when I get rid of him.

While hanging out at home, my college roommate (I really must create a name for her because this other stuff is too much to type) called. See, she liked the guy when she met him a couple of weeks ago. After I relayed Saturday night's text message exchange as well as his feelings about Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, she said, "He can hang out with us at bars but we will not be hanging out with him." I knew there was a reason why she is one of my best friends.

So the boy stopped by on Sunday after he had gone out to get something to eat. I became cranky. First I was making dinner for myself when he dropped in. He asked what we were having. We? He's the one who just left from having something to eat somewhere. This then became a whole scene. I finally told him to not speak to me for a bit. He made himself comfortable in the living room and turned the TV to what he wanted to watch and turned on the fan. Did I mention that it is in the 60s? There is no need for fan at that temperature, especially not on high. I kept having flashes of the musician. Oh, and there were all the stupid comments about how emasculated he was feeling. It is not my fault that he does not understand the DVD recorder or the DVR. I also loved how he told me that my TV viewing choices were stupid. Finally he kept asking what was going on in my head and so I said, "You were just starting to remind me of the guy I got rid of a couple of months ago." He decided to leave and said he would call. Like I'm going to answer. Then I thought about it and realized that I would rather not deal with that situation and so sent a text message telling him that there was no need for him to ever call again.

I've thought it over to try to pinpoint what was so irritating. Then it came to me. (If he hadn't been so insistent about my giving an explanation immediately, then maybe I could have shared this with him. Eh. Who am I kidding? It still would have ended up the same way.) So the guy pointed out that we were not dating; we were just hanging out. True. Then it dawned on me that that what was bothering me. I am fine with "hanging out" but it has to be on my terms. And my terms means that I don't need to hear some guy whining about his day. I certainly don't have to hear about how what I like is stupid. Also this means if I say, "Please don't talk right now," well the guy should just shut the fuck up.

No comments:

Post a Comment