Friday, December 9, 2005

Job choices

First of all, I would like to say that I believe that I am getting better. I slept til 10:30 this morning. I am usually up by 7:30 at the latest. Then I headed out to run errands -- Rubio's, the grocery store, and the library. There is something about illness that makes me crave either fish with lots of salsa or fish with lots of wasabe. Also key to recovery from a cold is the right beverage. My fave is limeade with a wee bit of gin. So much better than NyQuil. Finally I needed to return books and find some new reading material if I am going to rest.

I was going to post a photo for Gloria but my subjects flew off right as I was able to find a parking space. There is a UC research field near me. In the summer the field was filled with corn. I am afraid to ask what they were doing with the corn. Now that the field has been cut down, it is usually filled with Canadian geese. As I parked my car, I noticed that the geese were over me in v-formation. So much for the photo. I'm sure I'll get another opportunity this weekend though.

Now back to the post topic. I have always felt that the main reason why we work is so that we can pay for things in life that we want. There has to be balance though. What is the use of working for money only to not have the time to enjoy your earnings? A job is something that you do. It should not be a definition of who you are. When one has nothing else in one's life then one has allowed one's job to become the definition of who one is. It seems a shame. There is so much out in the world to enjoy.

I have recently decided that it was time to return to the classroom. I tend to work ten-hour days often. Thankfully I am an insomniac and have learned to function on four to six hours of sleep a night. Otherwise, I would not be able to fit in the rest of the things that I enjoy. If I go back to the classroom, I will be able to have adequate time for all the other things and not run myself down so much that I end up sick.

Well, my cold therapy is calling to me. Just thought I'd give y'all something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment