Wednesday, June 1, 2005

The kid in me

So today The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants opened. I was tempted to head down the street tonight to see it. Actually I guess I still could since the last show doesn't start for another forty minutes. I'll probably go tomorrow instead.

Why must I go see this? Because I've read the books. See, that's the thing I've come to realize lately. I read more children's or young adult books than adult books these days it seems. It comes in handy for work though. I always have parents saying, "I'd like for my child to read more. Can you recommend any books?" Parents always walk away with a list of at least five. Sometimes it's more but it all depends on the age of the child and the genres he or she likes.

Speaking of kids, I am off work on Friday and have to remember that I need to go to Montclair to ask about the 8th grade promotion. I know the date but I need to know the time. I also need to ask if it is ok if I attend. I don't think that it will be a problem as they still love me there. They must. Why else would they keep a link to a website I created on the school website? (I just checked a few weeks ago.)

When the current eighth graders were in the sixth grade, it was my first year teaching. On the second day of school to prove to them that I had actually read the interest forms that I had had them complete, I answered all of the questions they had written for me. As they started to feel comfortable, they started to directly ask the questions they had forgotten to write.

One girl asked after raising her hand, "Do you have any kids?"

I answered, "No," but after thinking for a minute added, "I take that back. I do. I have about 75 kids."

The first girl and another then said, "We don't mean us. Do you have any kids of your own?"

When I told them that I did not, they answered, "You should."

I have always thought that that is the highest compliment that a child could pay to an adult.

I looked forward to watching my kids mature and grow over the years. Instead I was laid off at the end of the year due to budget cuts. (That was my first layoff from the district. Do not even ask me my feelings on them. They are probably worse than Gloria's on "that school.") My students were heartbroken when they heard of my layoff. Some wrote letters to the Superintendent. On the last day of school, they gave me wonderful gifts and cards. By the end of the day, it was difficult to stop myself from crying. (I did a lot of crying that week but never in the kids's presence.) On that day I made a promise to them. When it came time for their eighth grade promotion, I would be there no matter where I was working at the time. I intend to keep that promise. Hopefully my boss will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment