Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Coworkers can be irritating

As you all know, yesterday was Halloween, one of the coolest holidays in the year in my opinion. My coworkers do not necessarily share this opinion. I got to overhear many conversations in which they once more demonstrated their general ignorance. I debated about whether I really wanted to post this but then I decided what the heck.

Before I get into yesterday's conversations, I must go back to a conversation I heard over the summer. One woman was telling one of the men that she reads the Harry Potter books even though they are basically evil. She then went onto explain that Pagans are using the books as recruiting tools. Huh? That's the first I've ever heard of that.

Monday was filled with discussions about the Satanic implications of Halloween. I felt like screaming, "You fools. Satanists and Wiccans are not the same. Wiccans do not believe in the concept of Satan so how can a Wiccan holiday be Satanic?" One coworker went onto explain that her pastor said that it is OK to celebrate Halloween because by dressing up they are belittling the importance of the holiday. Once more, huh?

Don't they realize that it's not particularly smart to irritate one's supervisor? They are just so clueless. I am also of the firm belief that religion and politics should not be discussed in the workplace unless you are absolutely sure of your audience. When I worked for a wireless company, we frequently discussed politics as our department made a number of political contributions.

On a happier note, I went to the last night of my beginning Portuguese class after work. We had loads of food and sang Tom Jobim and Joao Gilberto songs. The intermediate class starts next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment