Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Listening to myself

You would think that I would have learned this lesson well enough in the past that it would have stuck. Obviously not. I really must stop second guessing myself.

This all came about after a conversation with my mom about Sports Guy. She knows that I was a bit hesitant to say yes when he called that first time. She told me I should have gone with that feeling. She then reminded me of something about which I had completely forgotten.

After my parents divorced, my mom eventually started dating. Actually I believe this was within a year of her divorcing my dad. That would have made me nine or so at the time. We referred to one of the first guys she dated by the "pet name" of The Turkey. Actually, I think I am the one who came up with that name. There was something about that guy that just didn't seem right to me from day one. It took my mom months to discover the problem. Turns out he was a bit of a liar. No, he wasn't divorced. In actuality he was still married and living with his wife. My mom quickly dumped him after learning these things.

So this weekend my mom reminded me of this story. She said that this was the point when she decided to always trust me when it comes to people. She reminded me that when I have said, "There's something wrong with that person," even though everyone else is saying otherwise, I have always been right. I replied, "Yeah. I'm pretty good at reading people, aren't I?"

So the lesson learned here is to start listening to the little nagging voice in the back of my head. No, I am not being picky, judgmental, or any of that other stuff by choosing to listen to that voice. No, these folks do not deserve a chance. Even though these situations often lead to entertaining stories, I deserve to have less drama in my life. Because the truth is that one day I could end up with something more than an entertaining story.

And if you haven't figured it out yet, this is all part of my great master plan in taking better care of me. Because I haven't been too good at this in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment