Wednesday, April 19, 2006

"I'm a dancer."

So I have been sitting around reminiscing once more. Years ago I used to hang out with this group of guys in the Castro. I called them "The Boys." We spent every Sunday afternoon in the Castro. This was back in the days that I was wild and out of control. (Now I'm just wild. OK. So maybe recently I have started showing signs of heading toward out of control as well but I swear I have it under control again.) I got to know The Boys through this one guy, a friend of Emerald's. We ended up having a huge falling out -- I got tired of buying drinks for guys he was trying to pick up -- and so ended my days with The Boys. Recently I have started mending fences with this guy because I miss the fun and crazy times.

We used to go to Tahoe for a weekend every winter. The last time we went is now called the Showgirls weekend. We lost quickly at the tables so there was nothing left to do but to drink and to dance. We showed up at Faces, the gay bar in Tahoe, as soon as it opened that evening. I think it was around 5 and we had already been drinking for at least four hours. The DJ had not started so we loaded up the jukebox, after befriending Dyke the friendly bartender (I kid you not. That was his name.), and hit the dancefloor. Why was there a pole in the middle of the dancefloor? Just wrong. All wrong. Now whenever any of us sees a pole, there is a snicker. I got us back into San Francisco that Sunday (Now that I think about it, it was Mother's Day.) in time so that we could hit our usual places in the Castro. The bar had poles on it. Two of my friends picked me up and tried to put me on the bar.

Another Sunday in the same bar the guys kept grabbing my butt, telling me that I had a cute butt. When one guy grabbed me, he said, "Those feel like nice underwear. I'll give you $100 for them." (Yes, this is a prime example of the kind of freaks I attract. I mean, "Hello. I'm in a gay bar and I'm a woman.") Everyone now tells me that I should have taken the money. I would have but my dress was kind of short and I needed to walk uphill to get to my car.

As I remember those days, I start wondering if it is really wise to start up with these guys again. Eh. You only have one life.

No comments:

Post a Comment