Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A little habit

I watch a great deal of TV. I have tried to live in denial of the fact but I do. I think it started when I was in high school. This is when I started sleeping four to six hours a night. Under the right conditions, the TV could lull me back to sleep.

I watch a lot of the network stuff. But I have this one secret pleasure. Sometimes I like to watch the History Channel. I like the stuff about groups of people. It started with a history of the Klan. I tried to turn away but I couldn't. This morning I was thrilled to find a program on the Hippies that will be followed by one on the Hell's Angels. The coolest part of the show on the Hippies was the end in which they discussed the movement's continuing effects on our world today. This included an interview with a guy who thought that it was important to get computers in the hands of the people in order to empower them -- or something like that. And another cool guy who wanted to get information into the hands of the people, or at least that's how they put it on the show. (By the way, I still miss the Whole Earth Access store.)

Sometimes I think to myself, "What strange viewing choices." But I've always been fascinated by what makes people tick. Perhaps it is not a mistake that I share my birthday with Alfred Kinsey. Whatever the reason, it is a welcome change from being sucked in by those movies on Lifetime. You know the ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment