Friday, October 19, 2007

Problem solved

Y'all have heard me say many times how much I love where I live. Really I do. There's just this one problem. I have no terrace. That means that when I moved, I gave up gardening. I had a wonderful herb garden and a couple of dwarf citrus trees that were just starting to bear fruit. Oh, and the roses were wonderful as well. I have tried growing plants indoors but Natasha always consumes them. She is especially partial to roses in any form. Especially if she can snap off a bud and strut around with it hanging out of the side of her mouth like she's some kind of tango dancer or something. Really. So I gave up on plants but I miss them. And occasionally I say to myself... (Another reason why I need to be employed soon because I spend way too much time talking to myself these days. Which is worse? Talking to yourself or talking to your cats? Not that I talk to the cats.) I think I was going somewhere with this. Oh yeah. I start dreaming of moving but only so I could have some outdoor space for a garden. And maybe another room so that I acquire more stuff and really be the pack rat I was meant to be.

Then a couple of weeks ago, there was the impromptu party on the front stoop. Around the time that the wine ran out and we switched over to tequila, one of my neighbors suggested that we head up to the roof. I always forget about our wonderful roof access. It was cold and windy up there that night so we stayed out there five minutes tops and that's when I remembered why I always forget about the roof. In the past, I was rarely home during daylight hours. But those five minutes were educational. My neighbor has started container gardening on the roof.




My neighbor's gardening efforts.


And there's plenty more space up there. And my mother was just asking me last weekend what I wanted to do with all those pots and containers that were left on her patio since most of the stuff in them was dead and she had no intention of replacing them.

So as soon as I have a job, I'm going over there to claim my stuff (and before then, I'm claiming the vintage vinyl that has been calling to me) and I'm going to start gardening again. So may decisions to make. What to plant first? Needless to say, I've been applying for jobs like crazy because I suddenly have great inspiration. Forget about that need to pay rent and to buy food. And wanting to go and try more restaurants in the neighborhood. Nope. I want my garden again and I'm going to have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment