Tuesday, October 9, 2007

More low calorie cooking

That's a joke. Really.


Butter Chicken.


I had first heard about this dish while watching one of the many wedding shows on WE. And then I noticed a recipe for it in Curries Without Worries. I had decided then that the next chicken dish that I would cook would be that one.

It's made with chicken thighs. You remove the skin, cut a couple of slits in each piece, and marinate it overnight in whole milk yogurt with some salt.

When ready to cook, you melt a stick of butter and cook up some finely chopped onion. Then add ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne, and some pureed tomato. Then add the chicken with the marinade. Cook covered for 15 minutes or so, and then add some cardamom, some crushed cashews, and some half & half. Let simmer another 45 minutes. Yep. Really low in calories.

A quick trip out after cooking to the nearby Indian takeout place for naan and I had a complete meal. Well, I did in my mind. The Indian place was closed on Sunday.


The complete meal.


And I even took some over to my mom. Because she had already requested some zucchini bread. But by the time I got there, she wanted a meal. One could say that I'm psychic like that. And while she ate her food and proclaimed how good it was, we discussed the recipes.

And now I have a new addiction -- the Butter Chicken. I could have it for three meals a day and never tire of it. Speaking of which...

No comments:

Post a Comment