Friday, June 2, 2006

I thought I was safe

It turned out this week that it wasn't the case. Normally my allergies hit around the end of March. I had forgotten that the long rainy season would mean a later allergy season. What realy sucked is that I haven't been hit like this in several years. I end up with the usual sinus congestion but add to that swollen glands, a sore throat, and a fever and you end up with miserable bitch. By 2 p.m. I feel like I want to enter a nice deep coma sleep. Yesterday I even put my head down on my desk. Then the miracle happened. By Thursday night the fever was gone and I was no longer feeling drained. Just in time.

I have to work on Saturday morning. I am also planning to go out on Saturday. I've got to say goodbye to my fave bartender before he departs on his trip. All I know is that he'd better be back at the bar when he returns. The other bartenders are trainable but they are slower to learn. Well, there is one with hope but he only works on Thursday and Sunday if I am not mistaken. Yes, that's right. I know the bartenders' schedules.

So what else I have done this week besides being grumpy and mean? Yesterday I took a walk down memory lane thanks to SFist. It was a stream of consciousness thing -- my fave. Actually I followed a link from their site to East Bay Express since I had forgotten to pick up a copy on Wednesday. I only read the first four paragraphs because suddenly I was thinking of the 80s and one of my fave local bands from back then, The Freaky Executives. (I accept that I have probably lost most of you, with possible the exception of BWB, by now. Just bear with me.) In college I loved these guys. I kind of knew the trombone player and he would putu me on the guest list of whatever club they were playing. After the show I would hang out with them til the wee hours of the morning. One of those times, Mick Fleetwood crashed the party. The joke was we told Mick that he could join the party since he was kind enough to bring a six-pack of Corona. At the height of my true partying days things were pretty surreal -- and I wasn't even doing drugs.

So of course I Googled the band's name and came up with these two interesting sites. The first is an article about a Berkeley cult. Apparently the lead singer of the Freaky Execs was raised in this cult. The second site is the Primus family tree. And I thought that I had too much time on my hands. I know. You're thinking, "I don't want to click on that link but I am trying to understand the relationship between the Freaky Execs and Primus." The drummer from the Freaky Execs was the drummer for Primus at one point. The same guy also played with Charlie Hunter and Alphabet Soup -- more music from the Bay in the 90s that I liked.

Oh, and of course even though they are no longer together, they do have a page on MySpace ... umm I mean Hellspace. The first two songs were my favorites of theirs back in the day. And then I came across this and it made me remember those places that I miss like Berkeley Square, the Keystone, and Ruthie's Inn. I was about to add The Gilman but they're still around.

Sometimes getting older just plain sucks. I obviously just need to get out and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment