Monday, June 5, 2006

They never go away quietly

Before all of the family drama on Friday, I received a text message. "I don't like the way that things ended." This would be from retail boy. I chose to ignore the message. It had been two weeks since I had last spoken to him. You know. If you don't respond, maybe it will all go away.

Saturday after working and running errands, I was ready to go out. I needed to say goodbye to my bartender before his trip. I managed to talk my neighbor into joining me for one drink. She had something called "Key Lime Pie" that she declared was so tasty, she wanted to crawl into the glass. I told her about the text message. She said, "You know he's going to show up here tonight because he knows that you will be here." I told her that I just didn't think that would happen. Within five minutes after she left, retail boy showed up. Fortunately, I was at the opposite end of the bar and could hide.

Later in the evening, my bar friend showed up. (She told her ex who joined us for a bit and had asked how we knew each other that we were not barflies; we were butterflies.) She was freaked out because she was supposed to be flying home on Sunday and had not heard from her ride to the airport. I volunteered to take her.

Things were going smoothly until I went to join her outside for a cigarette. Who should she start talking to but retail boy? He told me that I never gave him a chance before dumping him. (See the connection to the previous post?) I broke down every way that he had pissed me off that night -- demanding food, taking over the TV, turning on the fan when it was cold. I told him that I felt like my space had been invaded and as he had pointed out that evening, we weren't even dating. He said just because he pissed me off one evening was no reason to get rid of him. I explained that it was more than one evening.

Now there's nothing wrong with working retail, but at age 35 there should be more to your life than retail sales. At least that's my opinion so I asked him about his goals. He got defensive and asked, "Are you talking financial?" I said it was partially that. He then said that he would like to one day be a dad. I asked if he thought he was prepared for that at this point in his life. He admitted that his current job was not conducive to raising a family but that he had ambition. Then came my favorite line. "Everyone I know is always saying how I have lots of ambition." That's when I let him have it. I told him that he liked to start statements with "Everyone I know..." implying that I am the only one not seeing it. I explained that if I have to ask the question, then it isn't that obvious. I also told him that when he makes statements like that, it's like the equivalent of saying, "You're just an idiot." With that said, I walked away.

A few minutes later, he came and found me. He told me that he had never thought about how someone else might interpret his statements and that I was right. (Well, I always knew that. Sheesh.) He then went on about how wonderful I am. (I knew that too.) Then he left.

Later in the evening, I received two more text messages. Something along the lines of "I want you." I could give you the exact words but I'm too lazy to go get my phone. Yes, I have the messages saved because I may need a good laugh in the future. I responded that I was busy. I decided that these messages were proof of my original feeling about the one from Friday. He was horny and couldn't find anyone else.

I could give him a second chance but experience has taught me that this is usually not a good idea. So I'm sticking to my original decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment