Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Good intentions

I had every intention this morning of writing a post. This would be as my alarm was going off at 4:15 a.m. Every day this week I have been up some time between 4 and 5 in the morning. So much for not being a morning person. When I was finally able to peel myself out of bed, I had too much to do other than writing a post. I have been leaving school between 4:30 and 5 in the afternoon/evening. I don't go straight home because I have errands to run. I walk in the door around 6. On my way home, I was chatting with relatives. I do that most evenings. Make phone calls all around the country to touch base with my extended family. I talk to most of them at least once a week. My dad and his sisters? I talk to them daily. (Speaking of my aunts, today was my aunt's last chemo treatment. Just in time for her birthday next week. Well, it had better be the last one.) I keep wondering where I am finding this energy. Because surprisingly I am not tired during the day. Around this time I do find myself fading though.

So the school year has been going OK so far. I have a challenging class. They are bright. They also ran all over their teacher last year. She's no longer at the school. My challenge has been to keep them challenged while laying down the law at the same time. They have spent a year thinking that they are in charge. I didn't mince words when I let them know that they are not. I get a lot of eye rolling and some occasional tears. "Please don't call my mother." This is the point when I roll my eyes. Today I even managed to work in a little head roll. You know. That kind of head movement that looks like a chicken. Oh, and with hand on hip. I think the words that came out of my mouth at that time were, "Try me."

Did I mention how much I love my job? I do. Honestly. I can't imagine doing anything else. Because I like these kids. And I believe in them. Because there are enough people out there who don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment