Thursday, August 3, 2006

Why do I do this to myself?

I completely rearranged my schedule yesterday so that I could go to the movies with Jade. I got up at crack of dawn (8:00 a.m.) so that I could go out to the tutoring center to help out with paperwork (Another director has quit. The place is cursed, I'm telling ya.) and still make it back to the University to do my time there. I get to the job at the University only to receive a phone call from Jade. Something has come up and she can't make it to the movie. I asked what kind of appointment. She muttered something about her husband's business. Have I mentioned recently how much that guy irritates me? At least now he's stopped telling me, "You're too skinny. No man likes that. You don't have enough boobs or butt," whenever I stop by there house. I swear if she wasn't my oldest friend, I would have killed that man long ago.

So there I was, 1:30 in the afternoon and off work. It was just as well that Jade couldn't make it. She wanted to see Miami Vice. Normally that would be one of my "wait for the rental" choices. So without her around, I went to see Clerks 2 instead. Of course, I still had a couple of hours to kill before the movie.


Natasha waiting for me as she often does.

At home I finished off the last of my leftovers from Monday night. I have not felt like cooking this week and there are so many places I've been meaning to try. Monday night I headed down the street to Khana Peena. This is their second location. I've been to the original one plenty of times but that entails driving. Now when I'm trying a new place, I usually have one dish to try based upon the cuisine. When it's Indian, I always go for the Chicken Tikka Masala. When I'm up on campus, I occasionally head to Naan and Curry. They are inexpensive and fast. But the Chicken Tikka Masala? Tasty sauce, dry meat. Every time I go there, it's the same. But Khana Penna? Nice tender chunks of chicken. And since I already kind of trusted them, I decided to have a couple of more dishes. Thus the leftovers.


Starting at the top and going clockwise, there's rice, Lamb Dhal, Saag Paneer, naan, and Chicken Tikka Masala.

After the movie, I was hungry once more. This time I went Cancun. I've been meaning to try them out for sometime. I used to go to Tlaloc all the time when I worked in downtown San Francisco. I loved Tlaloc because they had items like mole and nopales on their menu. I was torn trying to decide what to have at Cancun. Usually when I try out a Mexican restaurant, I go for the carnitas plate. I have learned the hard way about the stuff that some try to pass off as carnitas. They should be lean and with the right amount of crispyness on the outside. But then the mole was calling to me as well. It is nearly impossible to find mole around here and I usually content myself to wait for my mother to bring some sauce back from Mexico. The mole I have had here often does not measure up to that I've had in/from Mexico. I ended up going with...


I ended up going with the carnitas instead of the mole. In the future I'll know to add guacamole.

It was imperative that I have food in my stomach. Last night it was time to head out with Grasshopper. She had mentioned going out on Tuesday but I pointed out that we only had a one day wait for our fave bartender. She agreed.

The band was Crude Bill. One of their first few songs was an antiwar song. It's times like these that I'm happy to live in Berkeley. Here's the last chorus:

But if you try to take away our voice
You're going to get it
You son of a bitch.

Or something like that. I told the singer the name of this blog so perhaps she'll drop by and correct me.

I told Grasshopper about how our fave bartender was stating that he hadn't been to a movie in some time. Before I left, I asked him to think about what he wanted to see and when. Hopefully he'll join us for a movie.

Finally last night was important to me. I walked instead of driving. And lived to tell about it. I'd like to thank the raging hormones of PMS for making this possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment