Wednesday, May 3, 2006

May I never be poor

Over the last week, I have been reading Cookiecrumb's posts on the Eat Local Challenge. Some folks started saying that the whole thing was elitist. This of course gave way to the eating habits of the economically challenged. (Stop groaning about how PC I am.) One of the commenters pointed out that it is difficult to eat healthy when your only shopping choice in your neighborhood is the corner liquor store. So true. I guess the same can be said about banking. I used to wonder why so many people relied on check cashing stores. Then I realized there are no banks in these neighborhoods either. I guess you can add this to the list of things that piss me off. Kind of surprising, huh? Well, I plan to be a benevolent empress when I take over the universe -- except for stupid people. I have no tolerance for stupid people.

Oh, and I know I'll never be poor. A few years ago, I had the following exchange with a student.

The student exclaimed, "I thought you said that you were poor!"

"I said I didn't have any money."

"But you're carrying a Burberry."

"Oh. Well, first of all the bag was a gift. Second of all, I'm not poor."

Puzzled look.

"I am frequently broke but I have never been poor. Poor is a state of mind."

After some thought, the student replied, "You're right. I never thought about it like that."

So it would be nice if you ate organic, local foods but I'd really be happier if you just ate something that was nutritious. Of course, I also do try to stop and to think about why people make their choices before placing my values on them. Hmmm. Maybe I will make that law when I come to power -- not all meals but at least one meal a day. And of course I will have a wonderful education system that is not based upon state testing but instead on making well-rounded citizens who are capable of thinking for themselves -- within reason. I am the empress after all.

Oh, and remember -- being broke is just a temporary state.

No comments:

Post a Comment