Monday, May 8, 2006

Someone's in the kitchen

I had a great time with my college roommate over the weekend. We started the weekend at Triple Rock. They have great fries. Perhaps we should have had some.

The next day it was dim sum at May Flower. Yes, the dim sum menu is not as extensive as at other places but there are approximately 20 items from which to select. What makes this a fave of mine though is that they serve dim sum all day. That's right -- ALL DAY. I have been known to stop in on my way home to pick up dim sum for dinner. My friend and I managed to fill up on a selection of five items. They gave us small salads and jasmine tea as well. With tip, it all came to less than $20. Probably the most important thing is that we once more felt human.

We were going to do all these other things but the food coma hit and instead decided to watch Hookwinked which we both agreed started off OK but then got a little slow.



For dinner I defrosted that gumbo I had put away. Before that I made another orange meringue pie for my aunts because I promised them. This time I used the Valencia oranges that my aunts had given me earlier in the week.

After dinner, it was off to my usual place for the song stylings of Nicole. I feel that everyone should experience Nicole at least once in their lives. My friend also loved how the bartender shouted out a greeting to me over the crowd as soon as I walked in. Did I mention how much I love the place?

In the morning, it was back to the kitchen for me to make the stuffed pork roast that I also promised for my aunts. That's what I do at times like this. Last Wednesday my aunt had her appointment with her oncologist. Apparently the cancer is a reappearance of the ovarian cancer she had two and a half years ago. (You've gotta love how they're saying it's ovarian cancer even though she no longer has ovaries.) They think that in two to three weeks she will have healed enough from her surgery that they will be able to start the chemo again. The breast cancer wasn't so bad because she had radiation treatment for that. But chemo? That was really bad.

My grandmother was a wonderful cook. I, therefore, have never really been able to understand how she raised two daughters who are for the most part lost in the kitchen. The family joke is that the gene skips a generation.

I dropped off the food for my aunts on my way to taking my friend to the airport. I then returned and hung out for several hours. This time I went home with strawberries. What to make next?

But here is the real highlight of the weekend. I wish my friend would hurry up and set a date so that we can start planning this wedding already. I did tell her to at least come up with her colors. How else can I start shopping for my dress? (She has decided that instead of making the bridesmaid wear one dress that they'll probably hate, that instead each will be allowed to select an individual dress in the appropriate color.)



Oh, and her birthday is in September. That's the why of the sapphires. Of course I would have asked for them just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment