Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Random thoughts

1. Forgot to mention on Monday the nicest thing I heard over the weekend. Popped outside to have a cig on Saturday night and this young woman told me, "You're too pretty to hang out in this bar." Awwwww. I guess I should have bought her a drink to say thanks. This especially made me feel good because I am probably at least 15 years older than the typical patron of the place.

2. Overheard on Monday at Julie's Healthy Cafe while picking up my lunch:

"You know what's cool? Veggie burritos. They're like a burrito but filled with vegetables."

OK. Am I alone in wanting to pound my head into a wall? Didn't think so.

Basil chicken from Julie's

3. I was reading through the gossip on Adam Brody's reaction to his love scenes with Meg Ryan when I noticed that he is co-producing a remake of Revenge of the Nerds. Enough with the remakes already.

4. I only have six and a half weeks to the big four-oh. I guess if I am going to have a party, I'd better get off my butt and start planning. My original thought was a 20s speakeasy kind of theme but then I started thinking cheesy 80s. Maybe I'll just go with standard cocktail party. I guess this also means that perhaps I should give my friend a break about her wedding plans. And hmmm -- her birthday is in September which means that her birthday will be long before her wedding. Wonder what she'll be doing for her birthday. There was some mention over the weekend of us girls taking a trip. I don't know if the world at large is really ready for us.

5. Thank you, Neil, for reminding me that long ago I thought that it wasn't really a party unless I had danced on at least one piece of furniture at some point in the evening. I gave up that practice about five years ago. I think that was around the same time that I tried to tone it down in dance clubs because I got tired of trying to answer the question, "Which club do you dance in?" Yep, that's right. The word for today is "hoochie."

6. I recently ended a friendship. I keep reminding myself that I should behave with the dignity and class that my mother tried to instill in me. As much as I am tempted to discuss the demise of our friendship, I know that she is probably already doing such elsewhere on the internets. So I'll just keep telling myself, "I am the bigger person." I might not really be, but I do know that I'm the bigger bitch. If you don't like honesty, then you should ask someone else.

7. I think my walking is starting to pay off. I could swear that the waistline does not look as hideous as it used to. I don't care that my relatives keep trying to tell me that I look good the way I am. I'm only talking about a measly two inches. I think they have forgotten that it's a competitive world out there and svelte is always good. Well, it seems to be in the post-modern world at least. (Yes, I like to manifest my control issues in my body image.)

8. Because I have this free time on my hands, I have tried to expand my blog reading by checking out some of the blogs that y'all link to on your own blogs. This is how I found The Rock Bitch, who has now moved to Clusterfook. (Thank you BWB for pointing the way.) Reading her blog, I was suddenly reminded that this is not the first time in my life that I have had to deal with someone having ovarian cancer. How could I forget? It is the very reason why I was so freaked out two and a half years ago when my family told me that my aunt had ovarian cancer. My first college roommate had ovarian cancer. She was first diagnosed at age 16. By the time, we started college the disease was in remission. By the spring it had reared it's ugly head. I remember lots of long nights of her puking from the meds. She died by the time we were 21. She was the mom of our apartment and would have made a great mom for someone one day.

9. More depressing stuff. Last week my friend lost her baby. The baby apparently died shortly before she was able to deliver her. (Yes, the baby was full term.) I cannot imagine the grief she is feeling right now. She had been trying for so long to have a baby. I meant to get a card but I am bad about things like that so instead I sent an email.

10. Laurie's post about hospitals and comfort foods made me a starving wreck on Tuesday. I spent most of the morning planning my lunch. My first thought was La Burrita but they're burritos are only OK. My next thought was Naan N' Curry but then I thought that I'd rather have that for dinner than lunch. I finally settled on Top Dog. And because I was starving, I decided to have two dogs instead of the usual one. At first I was only going to get one because I was afraid that two would make me look like a pig. Then I remembered that I have never really cared about looking like a pig and have regularly been able to put away more food than most of my male relatives. I have also been asked on dates, "How does someone as small as you manage to put away so much food?"


Bratwurst and hot link from Top Dog

11. Came across a resume in which the person listed the following as an accomplishment: "Written and oral competent in each of the six United Nations languages." Why do I suddenly feel stupid?

12. I realize why the new boy will probably only be around for a short period of time -- his aversion to phone companies. I kid you not. He gets the prepaid cellular but then runs out of money on it. A guy who cannot afford a phone cannot afford to hang out with me.

13. "That's sexy." Hmmmm. Think I'm going to have to think about that one. Not sure if it has the same effect as "That's hot." Or maybe I should stop reading the celeb gossip sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment