Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Damn Time-Life!

Last Thursday night was the official start of my spring break. But I was tired from the events of the week so I allowed myself to be lulled to sleep by the dulcet sounds of the television. Only to awake at something like 1 a.m. to the voices of Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock. They were shilling the Time-Life Classic Soft Rock collection. I found myself singing along. And then the most awful thing happened. I rewound to the beginning of the infomercial. *gasp* And then I sang along with the entire thing. (I know some of you were wondering how an African American girl could be making it in with the liberal White folks of Berkeley. Now you know the awful truth. At times I am the Fresh Prince and at others I am Carlton. Don't even think about throwing on a mix of Steely Dan and Aerosmith -- some of my faves from elementary school. But then I also knew James Brown, Aretha, and Sly and the Family Stone. Get funky now!) Now the cats, and possibly some of my neighbors, know that I am truly certifiable.

One would think that this would be enough. Ha! I went to my computer, put on my headphones, and started up iTunes. I listened to the full songs, many of which I have, until something like 4:30 in the morning. This included gems like Gino Vanelli's "I Just Wanna Stop," Ace's "How Long," Cat Stevens' "Wild World," Rickie Lee Jones' "Chuck E.'s in Love," and the Moody Blues' "Your Wildest Dreams." Oh, and lots of Steve Winwood, Seals & Crofts, The Bee Gees, and Kenny Loggins. The sad thing is this stuff has been running through my head ever since. And then I segued into one of my faves from the 70s, Starbuck's "Moonlight Feels Right." I've had that gem stuck in my head for at least three hours this morning. Perhaps tonight I'll erase it all with a good dose of Depeche Mode and Boingo. And maybe some STP and Metallica for good measure.

Until then, I'll be rooting around in the closet for a pair of platform sandals and a polyester disco-y dress. And then I'm going to run to the store for a can of Aquanet Super Hold. And some blue or purple eyeshadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment