Monday, April 2, 2007

Toxin free

.. and too tired to be bitchy. (This was originally titled "They shoot horses, don't they?")

Yesterday I finally made it to the samba class. It seems I have made a commitment along the way. Yesterday's rehearsal was the second rehearsal to get ready for Carnival. Yep. That's right. I will be dancing in this year's Carnival parade.

I went to class sporting a tank top, a hoodie, and jeans. (There were also some shoes involved in the whole thing but they were not conducive to dancing on the gym floor and were quickly discarded.) The hoodie was discarded after about 15 to 20 minutes. I have never sweated this much in all of my life. Within the first half hour, I had sweated every toxin out of my body. And stupid me did not bring any kind of beverage with me to rehearsals. The rehearsals? Three hours. I am suddenly thinking that by Memorial Day weekend, I will have absolutely no problem fitting into a size one.

after three hours of dancing and sweating, I did not have the energy to see about my mom's stuff. Nor did I do the tutoring thing. Hell. It was all I could do to stay awake until 8 p.m.

And don't ask me how ugly things got at Safeway. This woman was having severe issues with her total. I was going through severe dehydration. And I was starting to feel pain in my legs. When I finally reached the checker and he asked, "How are you doing?" with some silly grin on his face, only one answer seemed right. "Not good. Especially since I'm a little dehydrated and had the misfortune of choosing that stupid woman's line." Can I also say that there were many moments when I almost slammed the cart into the folks in front of me? Except that the person closest to me was a perfectly innocent little boy. Wenches did that to me on purpose. I know.

At one point in the evening, I caught up with Emerald. She said, "You can lose a lot of weight doing that. And you have to be limber as well." Later in the conversation, she asked how much it all cost. Now here's the real beauty. Three hours of hardcore sweat and it's all free. I believe that I had a whole week's worth of cardio in that three hours. Because the drums never really stopped during that whole time. (Yeah. Drums.) And the cool down stretches? Why did most of them have to be based upon Downward Facing Dog? Yep, yoga. Kind of like my bellydancing days. Back when I last could get into the size ones. So I am having the feeling that if I keep this up over the next couple of months, I'll be back into my cute little size one dresses just in time for summer. Oh, and there's also the feeling of accomplishment of mastering the choreography. The samba I have down except for that last part. That last part is dependent on wearing the right shoes. The other dance I know pretty well. Well, at least the parts of it I saw.

But the best part of it all? Mimicking other people. And I've always been really good at that. Something to do with my inner chameleon.

I'm a little sore today. Not like the worst of the days when I took bellydancing years ago and would awake around three in the morning after class, screaming over the pain in my legs. No, this time the screaming was for a different reason -- my alarm clock.

All I have to say is, "Is it Thursday yet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment