Friday, July 20, 2007

Jen, I might need a lawyer soon.

Wednesday night proved to be just a preview for the insanity that is my mother. I went to pick her up at 11 a.m. yesterday to take her to the DMV. We decided on this time at 8:30 a.m. She was not ready when I showed up. I should have taken this for a sign.

We got to the DMV and she quickly received her number. She then started to complain that she had a tickle in her throat and would I be a dear and run to the store for something for it. By this time my face was throbbing, but more about that later.

All in all, the trip to the DMV took about an hour. At this point, she announced that she was hungry. I knew that this would mean a trip to Panda Express. I don't know how a woman who enjoys stuff like sweetbreads and escargot can find pleasure in that place. But she does. At least she didn't suggest Hometown Buffet, another one of her favorites. I like an idiot took her to the one in El Cerrito instead of the one in Pinole. Because beckoning across the parking lot was Ross. Then again, if we had gone to Pinole, then she would have insisted on stopping at Target or some other place. I found a pair of jeans at Ross; she got nothing. By now my face was really throbbing. And I was becoming drowsy from her endless prattle, my eyes having glazed over at least an hour earlier. Really. There were times when I wondered if she was even breathing.

Finally I was able to ditch her around 2 p.m. -- just in time for my doctor's appointment. This appointment was to hopefully receive a referral to a specialist.

I went to the dentist recently and found out that an old problem had returned. Ever since high school I have had this cyst that likes to reappear. It's located in the bone in the upper right area of my mouth. I was referred to the an oral surgeon. He's determined that it is time to do surgery once more as the bone loss has now almost met up with my sinus. In the meantime, I am pumping down antibiotics to fight the infection. And fighting the urge to down handfuls of the vicodin he was also so kind as to prescribe.

While I was out getting throat lozenges for my mother, the office manager from the oral surgeon's office called. It seems that my surgery is not covered under my dental insurance but it probably would be under my medical insurance. That means that I now need a referral from a doctor -- specifically, an ear, nose and throat doctor. I immediately called my provider to set up an appointment with my primary care. Because of course, I can't go to see ear, nose, and throat without a referral from my primary care. So that's what yesterday afternoon's appointment was about. Getting that referral. So now I'm just waiting to hear from the specialist. Which should be soon as I stressed to the primary care person that I am currently in a great deal of pain.

Oh, and the funny thing is that the nurse practitioner asked me if I was stressed when I got there. Ummmm. Yeah. Just spent hours with my mother. She asked if my mother was unable to do things herself? My answer? "Physically? Ummm. No."

Please let me survive the weekend. Because I can't avoid my mother since Sunday is her birthday. (Being a good daughter, I will be taking her out to brunch.) I do plan to spend Saturday reading the new Harry Potter. Hopefully with cats purring nearby.

For now I am taking relaxation lessons from Boris and Natasha.

No comments:

Post a Comment