Intellectually I know that I should quit smoking. For emotional reasons, I am not ready to let go of the habit though. Following are reasons why I know I should quit.
1. Family history of cancer.
2. Family history of heart disease.
3. I probably have Raynaud's. I first complained to a doctor about this when I was about 12 or 13. (This doctor told me to never start smoking. See how much I listened to him?) It's only gotten worse over the years. When the temperatures drop to about 60 F or lower, my fingers start to change colors if I am not wearing gloves. When it's cold and someone asks about the temperature, I look at my fingers and can usually give a pretty good estimate of the temperature. OK. So maybe it's not a case of that I might have it but that I do. I had something weird happen to my feet when I was in my 20s that sent me to the emergency room. The doctor there asked if I had ever been diagnosed with Raynaud's. I told her that it had been hinted to me in earlier years. Bottom line is folks with Raynaud's should not smoke.
4. I have suffered from chronic bronchitis as well as two bouts of walking pneumonia. Add into this that whenever I have a simple cold, I become asthmatic.
5. Some of my current dental problems are probably smoking-related.
6. It costs a hell of a lot of money to smoke these days.